Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Jonesin’ for that Asphalt Trip

It’s only Day 3 of the 21-day Gorham Bypass shutdown, and I’m already one hurting commuter. Sure, this time of year it’s not a huge hassle to have to drive through downtown Gorham twice a day, morning and evening, but it’s just not the same.

I’m one of “those people” that the Bypass was built for – a West Gorham resident, living off of Route 25, who drives to a job in Portland five days a week. To be honest, I wasn’t the least bit excited about the new road when it was under construction. Sure, I was curious – a road 50 years in the making has to be pretty special - but truth be told my commute wasn’t that much of a hassle. I have a flexible work schedule and had learned to time my travel through the center of town so I wouldn’t be on Route 25 when the cars were lined up past Edgewood Animal Hospital.

But, from the very first trip on the new road, I was addicted. It’s not so much the first stretch that runs from 25 to 202 that got me, but that second, long, gently winding piece that goes from the 202/4 rotary to 114 was the hook.

Who knew the road would be so easy to navigate and fun to drive, with soft curves, wide shoulders and an endless view? Who would ever think that there would be wildlife to watch – deer grazing, turkeys strutting, birds flitting all over the place? And who could ever predict the first stunning pink and orange sunset spied on the horizon one late winter evening on the commute home? Or the peacefulness and quiet of an early spring morning, when there are no other cars in sight and the warm sun is streaming into the car?

So, hurry it up, MDOT, and finish whatever it is you’re doing with the paving machines, the flaggers and the orange barrels. I need my Bypass fix!

No comments:

Post a Comment